Beauty From Ashes Ministries was formed out of the loss that Lori Bohning experienced after her husband passed from Medullary Thyroid Cancer on March 16, 2015. Being new in the New Braunfels, Texas area and with two children, ages 7 and 9, she prayed that when the weight of the grief lifted, that God would call her to start a widow ministry. There was such a need to serve the widows. At the first Beauty From Ashes meeting in 2018, Lori Bohning asked the widows, “What do you need/want in a widow group?” Every lady in the room said, “connection with other widows that understand one another.”
Beauty from Ashes Ministries became a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in August 2023. The purpose is to provide Christ centered support to widows in their grieving process, the on-going secondary losses, and beyond into empowering widows in the process of re-engaging in life. Beauty From Ashes Ministries meets every widow right where they are in their grief journey. We do this by offering a safe place for widows of all ages to connect with one another as they begin to discover what God can do with a heart that is His. In our deepest pain, “He will give a crown of beauty for ashes, the oil of joy instead of mourning, the garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair. They will be called oaks of righteousness, a planting of the Lord for the display of His splendor.” (Isaiah61:3).
Beauty From Ashes Ministries offers:
There is such a need and the need cannot be overlooked.
- Monthly Widow Support Groups (This is an on-going support group for widows of all ages. We use the BFA Curriculum)
- Beauty From Ashes Ministry curriculum developed by Lori Bohning. It has been a successful widow program curriculum since 2018. Our goal is for churches, communities, or anyone to start their own BFA Ministry. The curriculum is simple to use and it is user friendly, step-by-step.
- Life After Loss Program (This is a 6-week program for any widow in the early stages of grief)
- Workshops (such as home maintenance workshop)
- Guest Speakers
- Grief and the Holidays (every September/October)
- Empowerment and Encouragement Workshops
- Bunco (this is a favorite and a very special time. It is at one of BFA board member’s house)
Help Us Grow Our Ministry!
Your support of the ministry allows us to reach more widows in need. We appreciate you generosity and kindness.Donate Now
Why Donate to Beauty From Ashes?
With your donation and support, Beauty From Ashes Ministries can help more widows feel the love of Christ and know that they are not alone. Every connection, every meeting, every touch helps a widow feel seen and when her grief is seen, she feels supported and connected. We bring the hope of Jesus Christ to every widow. They no longer live in despair or without hope for the future. They move forward in their grief, and we are there for the widow during each stage of their journey. They are not alone. Your donation will allow Beauty From Ashes Ministries to continue to care for the widows in their distress, see them, know their needs, share the hope of Jesus Christ, walk with them during grief and all the secondary losses of grief, provide connections, resources for those in need, open additional support, provide BFA resources for churches or communities to start their own BFA, offer growing/educational opportunities, educate others about grief, loss, and widowhood, and continue to provide a loving, supportive, non-pressure place for widows to come and know that they are welcomed and loved.
Meet the Board Members
Sergeant at Arms
Articles and Publications
- Widows Valentine’s Tea Offers Fellowship Opportunity for Local Widows
by Therresa Davis, The Herald-Zeitung, New Braunfels, TX (March 2023)
- Pathways Through Grief: Dealing With the Death of a Loved One
by Jeff Minick, The Epoch Times, September 6, 2022
- Kingdom Equity
by Ferree Hardy, Plain Values, July 14, 2022